Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Faction Fireworks

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar
If I was to say to you
Girl, we couldn't get much higher

I had been messing with my clone-capsule interface again, just to get an excuse to unplug from the life of a capsuleer and kick back and watch the reality holoreel I am such a fan of: Real Life - the story of a working father and husband. It’s not a thriller of a show - sometimes it is outright boring, but it certainly has a lot of excitement with it’s ups and downs. And capsuleer life had become a bit stale lately. 

But, watching reality-holoreels for weeks in a row isn’t much better, so I decided to get into a Rifter and go old skool solo roaming. It felt good. I felt a spark. 

Come on baby, light my fire
Come on baby, light my fire
Try to set the night on fire

Being back in the purest and truest tech I frigate you can find, felt like coming home. And what a homecoming it turned out to be.

“Guys. A Typhoon Fleet Issue just ran from me. And I’m in a Rifter! I’m picking up his drones.”

The R1DER communication channel was as usual in a very relaxed mode. I warped off from the anomaly and continued scanning. I noticed the Typhoon had not left scanning range. And on the next scan cycle new drones had been deployed. No way...

The time to hesitate is through
No time to wallow in the mire
Try now we can only lose
And our love become a funeral pyre

“Guys, I have the Typhoon scrambled! But I’m in a Rifter, so I guess it makes sense calling for backup...”

I probably wasn’t the only one calling for backup. I was constantly watching the local communications channel and my directional scanner. There were three other capsuleers registered in system, but nothing on scan so far. I was very slowly making progress through the mighty ships shields, but I was worried about what might turn up on the next scan cycle.

R1DERS reporting ten and six jumps away. A few more capsuleers enters system. One of them has the same last name as the pilot of the Typhoon. Thrasher on scan! Now. Keep it cool. Breathe. Think. Weapons deactivated. Reloading all weapon systems. Thrasher lands on grid. Target thrasher. Keep tight orbit on Typhoon. Fire at Thrasher! Keep point on Typhoon. Remember scanning. FUCK! Hurricane on scan! Keep guns on thrasher. Steady. Hurricane lands on grid. Calm, now, keep it calm. Target hurricane. Thrasher going down! FUCK YEAH! Hurricane is... What? Warping off? Warping off!

His backup has left! My backup is about to arrive. Weapons back on Typhoon.

Come on baby, light my fire
Come on baby, light my fire
Try to set the night on fire, yeah

Epilogue:
Shortly after this incident I found myself with a bounty of 100 million ISK attached to my head. I hate the feeling of waking up in a fresh clone, but for 100 million ISK I could manage a bit of headache and a moustache full of that sticky clone vat goo. And, as you might have picked up from different news sources, the bureaucrats in CONCORD are making a whole lot of new laws across New Eden and the bounty system is about to change. Finally it will be worthwhile hunting other capsuleers for theit bounty – not just letting your own associates collecting your frozen corpse and the ISK attached to it. So, I am now deployed in 0.0 space hunting the Angel Cartel on behalf of CONCORD, making some small amounts of ISK, but more importantly: Slowly getting into CONCORD’s good books – one kill at a time. High security space, be prepared for the return of the most sexy moustache in New Eden!

Only missing a moustache. Jim Morrison, famous ancient terran singer. Never seen in a spaceship, but was supposedly observed "very high".


Lyrics from "Light my Fire" by the ancient terran rock band called The Doors. This was supposedly their first big hit from the debut album named “The Doors”.

By the way, you might have heard the The New Eden cover band, “The Stargates”, playing their tunes, but they really don’t represent The Doors’ music with the respect they deserve – you need that ancient terran organic instruments to get the real sound. So, find some run down terran artifact shop in your local star system and dig up some old time recordings played on real instruments, kid.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one mate. Checking out battleclinic it appears that was that guy's last loss. I wonder if you made him quit eve? :P

    Also. The Stargates. Love it, haha.


    MB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude ... seriously.
    Wrecking a Thrasher (after the buff, mind you, and you couldn't know his fitting) in a probably-MSE-Rifter while pointing a Fleet Typhoon and getting away with it is awesome enough.

    You didn't have to ransack the Phoon or collect an amazing 100mio ISK bounty on your head, just to prove your point.

    You're still awesome, real life fatherness this or that.

    Despite that putting a bounty one someones head nowadays says: 'here is your tip, good work, go buy a Tengu, thank you that you destroyed my badly piloted fleet ship, taught me a valuable lesson, and gave me enough reason to reactivate my Pokemon Online account, goodbye and thanks for all the fish.'

    If Sobz would read this he'd fall off his Rifter-bike face down, and probably severely hurting himself in the process, so just don't tell him.

    (and yes I'm looking forward to the 4th of December!)

    ReplyDelete